The staff, trustees and students of Sheiling School are delighted to have been rated
‘Good’ across all inspection areas following their recent full Ofsted inspections.
Sheiling School provides placements for children and young people between the ages
of 6 and 19 with severe, complex and moderate learning disabilities including autistic
spectrum disorders. Set in a stunning sustainable and eco-friendly 40-acre site close to
the New Forest and Dorset coastline, the natural surroundings of the school provide a
rich, enabling and therapeutic learning environment for its students.
Some of the highlights of the report include:
• Staff share the high aspirations of leaders and are unrelenting in their quest to
provide pupils with the very best learning and therapeutic experiences.
• Relationships between staff and pupils are impressive. Staff forge a warm and
supportive environment which enables pupils to feel safe and secure.
• Behaviour of pupils is good. Staff understand pupils’ needs extremely well and
manage their complex and anxious behaviours with skill.
• The curriculum is rich and varied, which motivates pupils to learn.
• Parents are positive about the school. They welcome the high-quality care and
education their children receive.
• Children are happy and are making good progress socially, emotionally and
• Relationships between staff and children are strong, sensitive and caring.
• The quality of the outdoor facilities and children’s access to their local environment is
excellent. The quality of this provision benefits children.
• Leaders and managers successfully implement a strong ethos and positive
philosophy throughout the home that is understood and delivered by staff.
Head of School, Andy Walters comments,
“I am absolutely delighted with the outcomes from our recent Ofsted. The inspector
made a significant effort to really understand our provision and to analyse all the areas
that are making a difference to our students. Highlights for me are the positive
reflections on how the seamless integration of education, therapies and life in our
residential houses all help the students to learn and to make progress.
Our teaching staff consistently deliver imaginative, purposeful and effective learning
experiences for the students. I believe the report is an accurate reflection of our school
and recognises all staff involvement and their dedicated and passionate approach.
I am pleased from both the report and my discussions with the inspector that our
approach, ethos and contribution to the sector has been recognised. I would also like to
share my thanks to all parents/carers and families who contributed to the inspection and
a huge ‘well done’ to our students who bravely and gamely shared their thoughts and
communicated with the inspector - they engaged warmly and positively.”
Reflecting upon their child’s time at the school, one parent warmly comments,
‘It is the first time my daughter has been valued as an individual and not the child with
all the problems’.
Sheiling School is now looking ahead to the coming year and continuing to deliver high
quality education and care whilst driving forward initiatives to further develop new
experiences for their children and young people.
For further information please contact: Hayley Ramm